Dutch Oven Bread
Homemade breads are delicious and easy. Whether you are cooking over a campfire with a cast iron Dutch Oven or Baking a loaf in your enamel coated cast iron oven you can make a tasty loaf! If you are looking for a great crunchy crust on your bread with a pillow soft interior go for high heat (475 degrees) and knead and rest your bread overnight…. but if you are craving a homemade loaf and your convection oven in your RV only reaches 425 degrees, here is a recipe that will be delicious. The bread is a little denser and the crust a little softer but it is still good eats for sandwiches or making toast!
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp sea salt (do not use regular table salt)
1 1/2 cups warm water (90 degrees)
1 tbsp. uncooked cornmeal
- In a large bowl combine flour, sea salt and yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add water, stir with a wet wooden spoon to mix ingredients together, cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise for 12 – 18 hours.
- Preheat convection oven to 475 degrees. I use a slightly lower temperature when traveling in our RV as the maximum is 425 degrees.
- Place the empty 6 quart Dutch oven with the lid on into the convection oven for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the hot pot (using pot holders), place the Dutch oven on the stove, remove the lid with (pot holders).
- Pour dough into the Dutch oven. Using pot holders place the lid back on the Dutch oven and transfer the Dutch oven to the convection oven.
- Press the time by entering 3000 (30 minutes). When time is up, remove lid using pot holders and continue baking the bread another 20 minutes.
NOTE: Be careful not to add water that is too hot or the yeast will be inactivated and bread will not rise.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Miranda Louise – Blues Artist
Miranda Louise is a fantastic Blues artist and shared a wonderful slow cooker Lental Soup recipeon page 136 of my NEW release cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! Order your copy soon for holiday delivery…
To hear a live performance by Miranda Louise click on the link below. You can also go to You Tube and type in her name and or recent performance at Carol Ann’s in Tennessee.