Here is a recipe you can make ahead, freeze and bake as desired!
I had some cream cheese that I wanted to use and decided making a batch of scones was a good option that would allow me to bake the scones at my leisure anytime over the next 3 months.
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cube butter (4 oz.)
8 oz cream cheese (regular block style, not whipped)
1 cup rinsed berries
1/2 cup diced nuts (pecans or walnuts) if desired
1/2 lemon, zest only
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt)
- Combine milk and eggs in a separate medium bowl, whisk then set aside.
- Soften butter and break into 1″ cubes then add to the flour.
- Soften cream cheese and add 1″ pieces to the flour mixture.
- Add citrus zest, berries or nuts to the flour mixture.
- With clean hands blend the butter and cream cheese with the flour until the mixture comes together into pea sized balls and the flour is thoroughly folded into the dough. Note: the dough will be very dry as you start this process, but it will come together into a dough within a few minutes or so.
- Use a flexible plastic cutting mat, pour dough onto the mat and work in any loose flour mixture into the dough.
- Flatten the dough to about 3/4″ height. If your mat is small, divide the dough into 2 batches prior to flattening.
- Cut each circle of flattened dough into 5 or 6 triangular pieces = forming scones.
- Place the mat with the dough into the freezer until the scones freeze completely then package the scones in freezer ziptop bags, burp the air, date and write the name of the recipe on the freezer bag using a permanent marker.
- Remove scones from the bag as you want to enjoy them… you will preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the scones you want on a parchment lined baking sheet placed on the middle rack for 23 minutes or golden brown and cooked through.
- If you want to cook some of the scones prior to freezing, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, place the scones on a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven on the middle rack for 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove cooked scone to a cooling rack after the scones have completed baking and rested on the baking sheet on the counter for 5 minutes.
Note: You can apply a light coating of egg white or milk to the top of the scone just prior to baking.