Love the slight bite of fresh ginger and wanted to make a vegan soup to go with the sour dough bread I made the day before and I was certain the combination of warm soup and bread would warm us up on this cold winter day.
1 lb carrots rinsed, cut in 3″ pieces then cut each carrot in half vertically (I used organic produce throughout the recipe)
1 rib celery
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated or minced
24 oz low sodium organic vegetable broth
15 oz can of coconut cream
2 tsp powdered curry
3/4 tsp powdered curry
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp. olive oil
fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss carrots in 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Place seasoned carrots on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast the carrots in a preheated 350 degrees F oven until carrots are slightly browned and soft (about 35 minutes).
- Remove pan from oven, set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a Dutch oven, small stock pot or large saucepan. Turn heat to med/high.
- Add diced onions and stir while cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add diced celery and minced ginger to the pot, lower the heat to med/low and continue stirring for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut cream to the pot. Stir then let the soup simmer for a few minutes.
- Take the pot off heat, add the roasted carrots.
- Carefully puree the soup using a stick blender or regular blender with a lid on. Note: The soup contents should not fill the pan or blender much more than half way. Blend in batches if needed. If using a regular blender, hold the lid on snugly, cover with a clean dish cloth then add downward pressure with 1 hand as you turn the blender onto a medium setting to puree.
- Serve with some good quality bread or a fresh salad on the side.