I made these breakfast burritos with ingredients that all have a long fridge/freezer life.
Having enjoyed a few days of cereal with yogurt, bananas and blueberries… we were ready for something different and warm for breakfast! I had the following ingredients onhand and the results… rewarding!
Enough for my husband Jeff and me for breakfast with leftovers to freeze for 2 additional meals.
2 slices cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen hash browns
2 soy chorizo sausages
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp butter
a no salt all-purpose spice or salt and pepper to taste
6 flour tortillas ~ 8″ size
- Gather ingredients for the burritos and place them in a work area near your stove.
- In a medium saute’ pan add 1 1/2 tsp of oil. Turn the stove to medium high.
- When the oil is warm, add the hash browns. Stir and cook for about 7 minutes or cooked through, stir periodically. Remove the hash browns to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil to the pan. Remove the chorizo from the casings, saute’ and stir until thoroughly cooked according to package directions. The package I used advised to cook the chorizo to 165 F. Remove cooked chorizo to a plate.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs together with a tsp of water.
- Add a tsp of butter to the pan over medium heat. Melt butter then add the eggs. Stir as needed until eggs are cooked.
- Tear 1 slice of cheese into 4 pieces. With the heat on medium place cheese on top of the cooked eggs. Add cooked hash browns and stir. Add cooked chorizo and stir.
- Cut the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of butter in 4 and place along the inner edges of the pan.
- Top with the final piece of cheese, torn into 3 – 4 pieces. Let the cheese melt some then turn off the heat.
- Cook the tortillas 1 at a time over low flame or heat from the stove.
- Assemble and roll your burritos using about 1/2 cup of chorizo mixture per buritto.
- Package the leftover burritos single layer in a zip top freezer bag. Label the outer bag listing the contents and date packaged. Enjoy within 3 month.
- Reheat the frozen burritos in the microwave until hot and center is warm.