1 1/2 lb raw deveined shrimp
1/2 cup marinade: Signature select or other: Sesame Ginger readymade 30 minute marinade
2 tbsp. light soy sauce
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp seasoned garlic salt
12 oz can of plain soda water
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup Hellman’s or Best Foods mayonnaise
3 – 4 tbsp. honey
1/2 lemon, juice only
1 cup shelled walnut halves
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
Additional Garnish and Wraps
1/4 bunch green onions, diced
1/2 cup readymade canned La Choy or other Chow Mein noodles.
6 oz ready made guacamole
1 head iceberg lettuce, rinse, pat dry. Set aside to use single medium and large leaves for lettuce wraps.
- Rinse iceberg lettuce, set aside single medium and large lettuce leaves for cooked shrimp wraps.
- Open container of crispy fried Asian noodles, set aside for garnish.
- Keep ready made guacamole in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Place brown sugar and water in a skillet over med/high heat, stir. Add walnuts and stir until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour candied walnuts onto foil or parchment paper after walnuts are coated with thick brown sugar sauce, set aside.
- Clean the skillet, prepare shrimp and batter for pan frying.
- For the shrimp: remove the shell and tail from each shrimp and any remaining vein.
- Place shrimp in a ziplock bag, add marinade. Seal the bag, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine dry batter ingredients, stir then set aside.
- Add plain soda water to the batter (in the large bowl), stir to combine ingredients thoroughly, set side.
- Pour oil into the skillet. Turn stovetop heat to med/high.
- When oil is hot, dip shrimp 1 at a time into the batter then place in the hot skillet. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes on each side, until the shrimp are pink and thoroughly cooked. Remove the crispy shrimp to a clean platter.
- Place candied walnuts on a plate, garnish with diced green onions.
- Place lettuce leaves for wrappers on a plate.
- Place guacamole and Chow Mein noodles out in serving dishes on the table along with the shrimp and walnuts.
- Assemble lettuce wraps and enjoy. Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy within 1 – 2 days.