Summertime is perfect for making Bruschetta. Enjoy these fresh ingredients as an appetizer or even as a light main meal. This is delicious and only requires a bit of prep work that can be easily done at the campsite.
Here is the combination of ingredients I put together to make this dish last night. I served this as an appetizer to a group of 8 people and have leftovers to enjoy later today.
Farmers markets, farm stands and grocery stores have vine ripe peaches and tomatoes and they are at their peak of freshness so I was determined to prepare this. Everyone loved the combination of ingredients and gave this recipe a WOW!
Serves 8 (Increase or decrease the ingredients for the amount of Bruschetta you decide to make)
5 tomatoes, vine ripened if available
3 peaches, fresh ripe or canned with water drained and discard
1/4 red onion, fine diced
14 fresh basil
4 garlic cloves, fine minced
1/2 – 2/3 cup Kalamata olives, medium diced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (go light on the salt)
1 loaf French or sourdough baguette, sliced 1/4″ slices (lightly butter and grill if you wish or serve untoasted
4 oz butter for drizzle over baguette slices prior to grilling
- Rinse produce and pat dry. Peel peaches, cut in half, discard seed then medium chop and add to a med/large bowl. Note: I find chopping is easier when using a flexible plastic cutting mat/board.
- Peel and chop onion, peel garlic, mince add to the bowl with peaches.
- Pat olives dry, rough chop and add to the bowl.
- Rinse tomatoes, remove stem and seeds then medium chop and add to the bowl.
- Rinse fresh basil leaves. Stack the leaves on top of each other starting with the largest leaf. Roll cigar-like into a tight bundle and cut finely (chiffonade) with a sharp knife then add to the bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper over the bruschetta and lightly toss the ingredients to combine.
- Slice baguette in 1/4″ slices. Lightly butter and grill (if you like) or serve as soft slices. Note: I prefer to lightly butter and grill the bread slices for since the bruschetta is moist.
- Serve with soft or lightly toasted baguette slices.