The Thanksgiving and Winter holidays will be here in less than 4 months. Here is a homemade gift idea that you can prepare whether you are currently at home or RV’ing.
Having a simple affordable thoughtful gift that you can prepare with ease…is wonderful and truly appreciated by anyone that will be doing some baking.
The cost of pure vanilla extract has skyrocketed and making your own high quality pure vanilla extract is simple and fun.
It will take 4 – 6 months for the vanilla extract to fully develop into a full delightful flavor so… order up some vanilla beans and get you pure vanilla extract started soon.
I use grade A – Whole Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans, you can use a less expensive Grade B vanilla bean… but if I’m going to the effort of making a quality vanilla extract… I want Grade A.
This recipe has 2 ingredients and no cooking is required.
Feel free to double or tripe the recipe.
1 pint good quality vodka, rum, brandy or bourbon
6 vanilla beans
- Rinse vanilla beans, pat dry. Cut the ends of the beans and toss into a clean glass jar that has a lid that will seal well as you will rotate the vanilla in the jar at least once a week for 14 – 26 weeks.
- Cut the vanilla beans down the center using the side of a paring knife. Gently tease the bean pod open to expose the tiny vanilla beans. Scrape the beans from the vanilla bean with the side of the paring knife and transfer on the tip of the knife to a pint or larger size of vodka, rum, brandy or bourbon.
- Drop the split vanilla beans in next and seal the bottle.
- Gently turn the bottle over a few times then store in a dark pantry area.
- Continue to gently turn the bottles once a week as noted above.
- Vanilla should be ready in 4 – 6 months but gets even better up to a year.
- Strain the vanilla through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a large measuring cup then pour into clean 4 oz. gift jars (4oz Ball jars). Label and date the jars.